Search This Blog

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Respect

I'm saddened today for my young girls. I work with young girls in my community and church. So many of them are just spreading themselves thin with these young men. As a teen myself, I was a little wild, but these girls have nothing on me!

My longing is for them to realize that as women, we set the standard. If we let men run through us like a screw driver, then they will do such. However if we tame them like wild animals, they will be tame. Women and young girls, if we respect ourselves then they will have respect for us. That comes in all fashions. It can be in the bed, in the kitchen, in the car, in the restaurant...wherever you are. One must demand respect of themselves by setting the standard.

I imagine that most of you reading this now already know this. However, this is your reminder to share this with a young girl in your family or friend circle. Don't be afraid to pull that girl aside and have a little talk. Be approachable. Talk to these girls. It truly takes a village to raise a child...I don't care what race or nationality you are. I say that because that proverb that I quoted is supposed to be an African proverb.

Respect is a powerful word. As I think, this is so appropriate for even your work environment. Be mindful. Demand your respect. Carry yourself in a manner that one will know upon meeting that they can't disrespect you. Speak up. Speak clearly. Be heard. Know your stuff. Be smart. Be brave. Respect will come its way.

I feel like all that I know are well aware of this topic, but this is certainly a refresher. Don't forget it. Spread the word. Respect yourself! Demand respect! Live in a respectful manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment